Saturday 18 October 2008

An easy evening shift

The end of the summer season is drawing near and already the airlines' schedules have died down and passenger numbers are dropping. After a few days off I have returned to an easy evening shift, but the bitter cold is returning. However, it does have a nice crisp feel with excellent visibility, and we can spot the aircraft on their way in still miles out from the runway.

My first task of the evening is to simply meet an inbound flight and show the passengers where to go to. The aircraft will be night stopping so once everyone is off my responsibilities are over.

It pulls in and stops on stand guided by a marshaller (the guy that waves the luminous ping pong bats. All my friends think that's what I do in my job, I got fed up explaining every time what I actually do so leave it at that) A warm breeze comes over me and the sacred smell of jet fuel makes its way up my nostrils as the engines spool down. The crew turn the aircraft's beacon light off, meaning we can now approach the aircraft with equipment and people.

The steps move into place, we're not lucky enough to be on a jetway this evening so everyone will have to suffer the cooler temperatures. I ascend the steps and give the door a knock letting the crew know it's safe to open up. Never will you find me opening an aircraft door from the outside, it is one of the golden rules drilled into us in training. We're not trained to do it, and worst case scenario is if I attempted to open it when the emergency exit slide is still armed (controlled by the crew inside) I'll find myself being propelled across the ramp by at a great rate of knots by an 'exploding' yellow bouncy castle. It has happened elsewhere.

With the aircraft doors open, the passengers start getting off and I assume my usual position standing under the wingtip making sure no one walks under the wing. Not because it might fall off at any point, or that you'll likely to walk into it (most of the aircraft I deal with have wings that are suitably high enough off the ground not to bang my head against during a dark walk around) but because that is what my job is for the next 10 minutes to conform to health and safety rules. I keep an eye on the passengers as they walk across the ramp into the airport terminal, making sure none of them decide to chance it and light up a cigarette or cigar as I stand with 2000 litres of fuel above my head. As the last passengers get off and disappear into the bowels of the terminal building, I have a quick chat with the crew, wish them a good weekend and head off to my next aircraft.


1803 - My flight comes on stand 23 minutes late. It was scheduled out again at 1810 but it ain't gonna happen. I'm good but 7 minutes is nigh on impossible unless it's going out empty. This particular flight is scheduled for 30 minutes ground time, but with the low passenger numbers we can do it faster than that when needed. There's no cleaning or crew change on this flight, a simple splash and dash turnaround. It's the crews' last sector of the day and they're in a rush to get home. 58 passengers get off, and just 8 minutes after the aircraft came to a stop on stand, the first outbound passengers are already on board. Impressive. The senior cabin crew member tells me she has a wedding party to attend this evening so is in a rush to get home.

1821 - Ghe 60th and final passenger gets on board. Refuelling is complete and all 34 pieces of luggage are on board. The captain signs the paperwork, hands me a copy and I get off so the crew can close up and I go about my walk around check.

1823 - 20 minutes after the aircraft came on stand the wheels start turning again as we push it back off stand. Excellent, I feel as if I've done my good deed for the day in clawing back some time, and letting the crew member get to the party. If only all flights were as simple.

I head to my third task of the evening, and think someone is looking after me today. The flight is a special charter bringing in a handful of passengers. As soon as they are all off and the aircraft fuelled, it's on its way again 45 minutes early.

The world is a good place today.

4 comments:

dpierce said...

Excellent entry as always.

The bouncy castle could inflate even if the aircrew initiated the opening of the door (without disarming it), correct? So do you stand back from the door "just in case"?

Dispatcher said...

Correct. Some aircraft have slides that automatically disarm when the door is opened from the inside or out, such as the Airbus. Some of the old Boeings I deal with don't, I'm not sure about the NG series.

If I were to stand far enough away to be safe I'd have to be at the bottom of the steps, so I place my trust in the crew.

Garen said...

I always assumed everyone had checked luggage or planeside rollers. Is it normal to have only 0.5667 bags per pax?

"1821 - Ghe (sic) 60th and final passenger gets on board. Refuelling is complete and all 34 pieces of luggage are on board."

Dispatcher said...

Garen, sorry for the late reply.

It'll depend on the flight. Some of the short domestic ones we deal with are mainly business travellers with no checked in luggage, compared with maybe leisure travellers going on holiday in which case you have 170 ish bages for 180 people.

Sometimes there will be more checked in pieces of luggage than they are passengers, if there are lots of infants for the flight and their buggies/prams have to be checked in